Bloody Sunday inquiry move
by Democrat reporter
AROUND 40 of those bereaved or injured on Bloody Sunday Sunday travelled from Derry to London in September for the next stage of the Saville inquiry into event surrounding the 1972 ciil-rights march which saw British paratroopers open fire on unarmed protesters, killing 13 and injuring many more.
Former Tory prime minister Edward Heath is among those who will give evidence in London, along with other former ministers and over 300 ex-soldiers present on the day of the march.
In the weeks before its relocation, the inquiry heard a leading forensic scientist challenge the scientific worth of evidence presented to the original, and long discredited, Widgery tribunal.
Dr J B F Lloyd OBE described as "worthless" forensic evidence used to support the theory that seven of the 13 victims had either been using firearms or had been in the vicinity of gunmen.
Contrary to the conclusions drawn by Widgery, forensic evidence presented at the time supported the view that the protesters killed had not used firearms, said Dr Lloyd.
The former leader of IRA prisoners in the Maze, Raymond McCartney, called upon all those involved in the events of the day, including members of the Provisional IRA, to give evidence.
McCartney's cousin, Jim Wray, was one of those killed and his death had been a contributing factor to his decision to join the IRA, McCartney told the inquiry.
Connolly Publications Ltd, 244 Gray's Inn Road, London, WC1X 8JR
Copyright © 2002 Connolly Publications Ltd